Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Peaches, Chicken And A Little Thyme


We were where I have been many times before, alone, at home (my daughter and I) and no plan for dinner.  Open come the cupboards, the fridge and the scanning begins.  There is some cold grilled chicken, we have mayo, peaches, there are some baby carrots in the bottom drawer. We feel an idea coming on.  Since we're in Pennsylvania we have the delightful and ubiquitous  Martin's Potato Rolls (the best bread product in the world, and I've been a few places) and since we're at my mom's house we have every spice known to man.


We chop the chicken (2 handfuls), the peaches grown in the yard (1 large peach), a handful of finely chopped baby carrots, we add one large spoonful of mayo, salt and pepper.  A quick scan of the spice rack yields crushed thyme and paprika, a half spoonful of each. We stir together.  Rats, no fresh lemons for a spritz. On to the potato rolls with a piece of lettuce. 


A tentative first bite ...


And a new favorite was found - Barrett Chicken and Peach Salad sandwiches. Sweet yet spicy from the paprika, interesting from the thyme and crunchy from the carrots.  


Try it and let me know what you think.


If only we could get Martin's Potato Rolls in Minnesota.  Mr Martin, what do you think?

1 comment:

  1. This really sounds good Rob I will have to give this a try. Peaches, carrots and potatoe rolls sound like an odd combo, but I'll bet it tasted good. I am home alone this week myself and I think it is time for me to do a little searching of the fridge and cupboard to see what I can experiment with. This way if it doesn't turn out good I'll be the only one to get sick. lol

    ReplyDelete