Friday, September 25, 2009

Satay, Saturdays, and The Weekend's Looking Up

It's friday night, and I'm getting gas at Costco.


That's the start of an exciting weekend, I tell you. I can foresee a trip to Home Depot and maybe a nap on Sunday afternoon. Living the dream.


So I call my wife, tell her I'm at Costco, and ask if she needs me to pick up something for dinner.  She says she has no plans so I offer to make something.  Luckily Costco has packet of only 2 flank steaks so i get those (normally they come in packs of like 20.).  Of course, I have no plan, but now I have steaks.



On the way home I'm reminded of a Peanut Satay recipe I made about a year ago.  These flank steaks would be perfect. 


We end up having everything I need.  1/2 can coconut milk, 2 spoonfuls curry powder, 1 sp salt, 1 sp sugar, a little pepper and 1/2 sp coriander seeds, ground in a mortar and pestle. 

The freshly ground coriander smells so amazing.  It makes the dish.


I cut the steak in strips and throw them in the marinade.  It is at that time I realize we have way, way too much food.  So I tell my wife (who is a saint, a saint I tell you.) to hit the phones and see who wants to come over. It's 6:30 already.



I make some sticky rice, a quick homegrown tomato salad, and then an easy Thai Peanut Sauce (click here for the recipe). I fire up the grill, put the steak satay on skewers and await our guests.



What a fun night.  Everyone likes eating satay off the skewers and the tomato salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar goes over well. Everyone spreads the peanut sauce over their sticky rice because it makes such a great combination. 



Later, we ended up making some more sticky rice, Jan ran and got a mango so we could have Sticky Rice with Mango, one of our favorites. Recipe below.



Maybe the weekend won't be so bad after all.(See video and all recipes here)


Cook well,

Rob Barrett

www.cookingfordads.net


Sticky Rice with Mango.


In a rice cooker or bamboo steamer make 3 cups sticky rice.


In a small pan heat 1 can of coconut milk, 1/3 cup sugar and a t of salt.  Bring to a boil and stir until combined.  Turn off heat.


Cut up a mango into small pieces.  


Add coconut mixture to rice and stir to coat.


Scoop rice mixture into small bowl add mango pieces and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment