Monday, August 24, 2009

Stretching Boundaries Beyond What They Can Bear, or How To Grill Tofu.

I just did something I never thought I would. 


Tonight I grilled tofu.  Let me explain.


Earlier today I did a cooking segment on a local TV program where I made Peanut Butter Beef, an Asiany marinade that is one of my favorites.  A relatively large debate started on my Facebook page as to whether this would be good on tofu and whether tofu is even fit for human consumption.  OK, that last part came from me, but it was a lively discussion.


I told the debatees, lets all get together and do a taste test, I'll marinate both the beef and the tofu, we'll grill them up and give them a try. This is a big step for me.  I am a texture guy and soy bean paste doesn't seem like a fit for me.


One of the first hurdles was finding the tofu in the store.  I had to ask 3 people.  (it's in the produce section.)




First I pressed it for 20 minutes to get extra moisture out. Then I put it in the marinade. (Go to www.Cookingfordads.net and see the Peanut Butter Beef recipe)




put it on skewers




and grilled it up




here's the beef, similarly marinated and grilled.




Here's the tofu in a rice bowl I'm working on.




I'm still not sure about it. It wasn't terrible but wasn't something I would make again unless I had to. I'll admit, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  




I don't think that's the ringing endorsement the Tofu Lobby is looking for but it's the best I can do.


Cook well,  it's worth it.

Rob Barrett

Cooking For Dads

No comments:

Post a Comment